Skip to main content

Cyberbullying

I have been very fortunate to have never become a victim of any type of bullying. I have seen others fall victim to the act, and more so see cyberbullying take over social media. As times change, it seems as even with the appropriate awareness; individuals no longer care about who they hurt, or the consequence of their actions. It's extremely sad because those being bullied through technology are still facing different consequences in which can lead to the worst scenario.

I find that while this can happen in the school setting, it is hard to hold the school responsible for punishment in this regard. I feel as though the parents should be held responsible to monitor what their child is doing. I know in my household, morals were instilled at a very young age to where my parents never had to worry if any of their kids were out bullying. I also grew up with parents who did not allow us to have cell phones nor social media accounts. At the time I was angry because I wanted to fit in with the other kids, but looking back I am thankful I did not have those things due to avoiding cyberbullying all together.

I believe there are more negative than positive effects of remaining anonymous online. There is one major positive aspect that comes to mind, and that is for those who are afraid to reach out for help. In the event that someone is facing any situation that has resulted into suicidal thoughts for example, it may be hard to pick up the phone to speak to a real person. It may be easier to disclose whatever information anonymously, and receive the required help using that method.


Comments